John F. Beshai, MD, FACC, FHRS
Dr. Beshai is internationally renowned and respected. He has been invited all over the world to lecture and speak on his areas of expertise and research. He has published his research in all the major journals including The New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of American College of Cardiology, Heart Rhythm, American Heart Journal, and the American Journal of Cardiology. His most notable attribute, however, is his ability to connect and communicate with people.
As a teacher, he understands that every training level has very different degrees of fundamental knowledge and understanding from the most basic medical student to the most advanced training level of cardiac electrophysiology fellow. The ability to understand these differences and tailor education based on the degree of training translates to the ability to naturally connect with patients on their level.
Collectively these attributes have created a name that patients seek directly and that referring physicians trust with their patients. Upon meeting Dr. Beshai, patients feel an instant connection and level of confidence that puts them at ease.
Undergraduate; The Ohio State University, B.S. Human Nutrition 1991
Medical School; St. George’s University School of Medicine, 1996
Internship and Residency; University of Pennsylvania Presbyterian Medical Center, 1996-1999
Fellowship; Cardiovascular Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, 1999-2001
Fellowship; Cardiovascular Medicine/Cardiac Electrophysiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2001-2002
Cardiac Electrophysiology; Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2002-2003
University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine; Associate Professor of Medicine, 2009-2013
Mayo School of Medicine, Associate Professor of Medicine 2014-2016
Have Inquiries About Our Services?
Administrative and Committee Appointments
- Editor, American College of Cardiology (ACC) Arrhythmia and EP; currently
- Electrophysiology Council Committee Member, American College of Cardiology; currently
- President, Board of Directors, Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, Cardiac Electrophysiology; currently
- Voting Member, Medicare Evidence Development and Coverage Advisory Committee; currently
- Director, Pacemaker and Defibrillator Services, University of Chicago; 2006-2013
- Associate Director, Heart Rhythm Center, University of Chicago; 2009-2013
- Director, Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship training program, University of Chicago, 2009-2012.
- Chicago Blackhawks, Primary team cardiology consultant; 2007-2013
Patent No. US 9,289,145 B2, Identification of abnormal cardiac substrate during left ventricular pacing. March 22, 2016
American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Fellow, Heart Rhythm Society
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- Beshai JF, Grimm RA, Nagueh SF, Baker JH 2nd, Beau SL, Greenberg SM, Pires LA, Tchou PJ, RethinQ Study Investigators. Cardiac-resynchronization therapy in heart failure with narrow QRS complexes. N Engl J Med. 2007 Dec 13; 357(24):2461-71. Epub 2007 Nov 6 PMID:17986493. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa0706695.
- Beshai JF, Khunnawat C, Lin AC. Mechanical dyssynchrony from the perspective of a cardiac electrophysiologist. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2008 Sep; 23(5):447-51. PMID:18670255. DOI:10.1097/HCO.
- Lim KK, Reddy S, Desai S, Smelley M, Kim SS, Beshai JF, Lin AC, Burke MC, Knight BP. Effects of electrocautery on transvenous lead insulation materials. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2009 Apr; 20(4):429-35. Epub 2008 Oct 27 PMID:19017342. DOI:10.1111/j.1540-8167.2008.
- Agarwal R, Beshai JF, Lang RM. Can real-time three-dimensional echocardiography be used reliably for the assessment of left ventricular dyssynchrony? Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2009 Jun-Jul; 102(6-7):469-72. Epub 2009 Jul 04. PMID:19664565. DOI:10.1016/j.acvd.2009.05.
- Agarwal R, Lang RM, Beshai JF. Role of echocardiography in selection of patients for biventricular pacing therapy. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2009 Sep; 11(5):352-9. PMID:19709495.
- Smelley MP, Shah DP, Weisberg I, Kim SS, Lin AC, Beshai JF, Burke MC, Knight BP. Initial experience using a radiofrequency powered transseptal needle. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2010 Apr; 21(4):423-7. Epub 2009 Nov 17. PMID:19925604. DOI:10.1111/j.1540-8167.2009.
- Sun XG, Hansen JE, Beshai JF, Wasserman K. Oscillatory breathing and exercise gas exchange abnormalities prognosticate early mortality and morbidity in heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Apr 27; 55(17):1814-23. PMID:20413031. DOI:10.1016/j.jacc.2009.10.
- Mehrotra AK, Knight BP, Smelley MP, Shah DP, Weisberg I, Baez-Escudero J, Beshai JF, Burke MC. Medtronic Sprint Fidelis lead recall: determining the initial 5-year management cost to Medicare. Heart Rhythm. 2011 Aug; 8(8):1192-7. Epub 2011 Mar 03. PMID:21377552. DOI:10.1016/j.hrthm.2011.02.
- Patel AR, Klein MR, Chandra S, Spencer KT, Decara JM, Lang RM, Burke MC, Garrity ER, Hogarth DK, Archer SL, Sweiss NJ, Beshai JF. Myocardial damage in patients with sarcoidosis and preserved left ventricular systolic function: an observational study. Eur J Heart Fail. 2011 Nov; 13(11):1231-7. Epub 2011 Aug 02. PMID:21810833. DOI:10.1093/eurjhf/hfr099.
- Gillis AM, Russo AM, Ellenbogen KA, Swerdlow CD, Olshansky B, Al-Khatib SM, Beshai JF, McComb JM, Nielsen JC, Philpott JM, Shen WK, Heart Rhythm Society, American College of Cardiology Foundation. HRS/ACCF expert consensus statement on pacemaker device and mode selection. Developed in partnership between the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) and the American College of Cardiology Foundation (ACCF) and in collaboration with the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Heart Rhythm. 2012 Aug; 9(8):1344-65. PMID:22858114. DOI:10.1016/j.hrthm.2012.06.
- European Heart Rhythm Association, European Society of Cardiology, Heart Rhythm Society, Heart Failure Society of America, American Society of Echocardiography, American Heart Association, European Association of Echocardiography, Heart Failure Association, Daubert JC, Saxon L, Adamson PB, Auricchio A, Berger RD, Beshai JF, Breithard O, Brignole M, Cleland J, Delurgio DB, Dickstein K, Exner DV, Gold M, Grimm RA, Hayes DL, Israel C, Leclercq C, Linde C, Lindenfeld J, Merkely B, Mont L, Murgatroyd F, Prinzen F, Saba SF, Shinbane JS, Singh J, Tang AS, Vardas PE, Wilkoff BL, Zamorano JL. 2012 EHRA/HRS expert consensus statement on cardiac resynchronization therapy in heart failure: implant and follow-up recommendations and management. Heart Rhythm. 2012 Sep; 9(9):1524-76.PMID:22939223. DOI:10.1016/j.hrthm.2012.07.
- Schuller JL, Zipse M, Crawford T, Bogun F, Beshai J, Patel AR, Sweiss NJ, Nguyen DT, Aleong RG, Varosy PD, Weinberger HD, Sauer WH. Implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy in patients with cardiac sarcoidosis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2012 Sep; 23(9):925-9. Epub 2012 Jul 19. PMID:22812589. DOI:10.1111/j.1540-8167.2012.
- Cain MA, Metzl MD, Patel AR, Addetia K, Spencer KT, Sweiss NJ, Beshai JF. Cardiac sarcoidosis detected by late gadolinium enhancement and prevalence of atrial arrhythmias. Am J Cardiol. 2014 May 1; 113(9):1556-60. Epub 2014 Feb 12. PMID:24731652. DOI:10.1016/j.amjcard.2014.01.
- Haines DE, Beheiry S, Akar JG, Baker JL, Beinborn D, Beshai JF, Brysiewicz N, Chiu-Man C, Collins KK, Dare M, Fetterly K, Fisher JD, Hongo R, Irefin S, Lopez J, Miller JM, Perry JC, Slotwiner DJ, Tomassoni GF, Weiss E. Heart rhythm society expert consensus statement on electrophysiology laboratory standards: process, protocols, equipment, personnel, and safety. Heart Rhythm. 2014 Aug; 11(8):e9-e51. Epub 2014 May 07. PMID:24814989. DOI:10.1016/j.hrthm.2014.03.
- Woods B, Hawkins N, Mealing S, Sutton A, Abraham WT, Beshai JF, Klein H, Sculpher M, Plummer, CJ, Cowie MR. Individual patient data network meta-analysis of mortality effects of implantable cardiac devices. Heart 2015 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schleifer WJ, Beshai JF, Ramakrishna H. Hybrid atrial fibrillation ablations and the increasing importance of the hybrid cardiovascular laboratory operating room. Ann Card Anesth. 2015 Jul-Sep;18(3):286-9. doi: 10.4103/0971-9784.159794. PMID:26139729.
- Long-Term Success of Irrigated Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation of Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia: Post-Approval THERMOCOOL VT Trial. Marchlinski FE, Haffajee CI, Beshai JF, Dickfield TM, Gonzalez MD, Hsia HH, Schuger CD, Beckman KJ, Bogun FM, Pollak SJ, Bhandari AK. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 Feb 16;67(6):674-83. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2015.11.041. PMID: 26868693.
- Cost-effectiveness of implantable cardiac devices in patients with systolic heart failure. Mealing S, Woods B, Hawkins N, Cowie MR, Plummer CJ, Abraham WT, Beshai JF, Klein H, Sculpher M. Heart. 2016 Jul 13. doi:10.1136/heartjnl-2015-
308883. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 27411837.
Drug induced QT prolongationRiad FS, Davis AM, Moranville MP, Beshai JF. Am J Cardiol. 2017 Jan 15;119(2):280-283. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2016.09.041. PMID:28126150
The Heart Institute of Arizona has a wide array of services that come with our premium care. From in-office diagnostics and treatable conditions to hospital-based procedures, we’ve got your heart covered. We are accepting all Medicare and major commercial insurance plans.